Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Departing Penland

We took a little detour for some bad news posts there, sorry for that. I have a final round of photos from my time at the Penland School of Crafts to share with you, though - a little more up-beat, no?!










We spent many and long hours in the studio, each following our own direction - trying and failing and trying again. But we also spent many hours socializing, laughing, and generally embracing the whole "camp" thing. Except this time there was booze.



On the final full day of the session, there's always an auction to benefit the scholarship fund at the school. I created this ring to be auctioned off. The glass piece was made by a student in the stained glass studio: white with an etched arrow. I created a double band - sterling inside, copper outside, then made a two-tone bezel (sterling and copper) for the arrow. Finally, I affixed the arrow to the band using a rivet, which allowed the arrow to spin. NICE. The piece sold for $160, which I was super happy about. I felt like I really went out on a high note, after all the frustrations I encountered midway through. All in all, it was an exhausting, overwhelming, amazing experience.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yay for Penland! Great pics Cassie!

The Rotary said...

This looks like the best time ever. Days full of crafting, fun people and amazing scenery?? And booze? You really had it made! I'm not sure I would've come home!

Maia Leppo said...

miss your face! awesome pictures!

melissa loves said...

That looks like heaven on a stick! Seriously...camp, with booze?! LOVE it! :) And that ring is just gorgeous hunnie....I love the etched piece and the double band idea.....beautiful. And the arrow spins?! That is fantastic!
xo
Melis

Unknown said...

Love the pics mama!

Clementine said...

It's true, heaven on a stick - minus the air-conditioning. You really have to take that into account. Bonnie can attest to the horrible things that happen to me when I get drenched in sweat.

And you should all go visit Maia and Bonnie (jamiestank)'s sites, FYI. Those two ladies are da BOMB.

Molly said...

These photos are great! Now I need to take a class at Penland...