Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Times I'm Glad I Don't Live in NYC Anymore

There's a lot to miss about my old life living in Brooklyn and working in Manhattan.

But frequent subway flooding is not one of them.

The first time the subway flooded when I was there, I had to walk from 34th and 9th to 51st and 3rd (that's a bit of a hike). About halfway thru my slog, soaked up to the knees by the rain and puddles, a homeless man came running at me and tried to knock me down. Luckily, I parried and was able to keep my balance when he rammed into my shoulder.

Ahhhh, good times.

2 comments:

fernfiddlehead said...

I AM here in NYC today. Luckily, I didn't need to take the train. My BEST subway story happened during the blackkout back a few years ago. I was on my way to work and the train stopped. We had to walk along the tracks to evacuate. We had no idea it was going on. Good times. It's a NYCers pasttime, complaining about the trains (& rent). Glad you missed this one.

Tonya said...

Amen Sister Cassie! But I see the bright side in the whole subway system coming to a screeching halt. It's called: the personal day. I wrote about it at happydash.com

Fernfiddlehead- I wondered about all of you who were caught underground during the blackout. Thank god they didn't make you wait it out in the train.